Every summer the library offers a summer reading program for people of all ages to encourage them to read, explore new authors and genres, and find out about the many different types of materials the library offers. The summer reading program is also a great way to encourage kids to keep reading during the summer when they aren’t going to school. We offer incentives and fun activities and programs to keep them engaged in reading.
The 2019 summer reading theme is “A Universe of Stories.” The program begins on June 10 and ends on August 15.
Planning your summer activities?
Check out our Summer Reading Guide for fun activities for the whole family.
Who can participate?
Family (0-3 year olds) – The summer reading program is for little ones too. Parents and kids can complete activities together to earn prizes and entries in the grand prize drawing. – See all kids events here.
4 year olds-4th grade – Join the reading program and attend the fun programs and events. Kids will track the number of minutes they read (or someone reads to them) to earn prizes and entries in the grand prize drawing. – See all kids events here.
5th-12th grade – You won’t want to miss this year’s reading challenge because we have some awesome prizes just for teens! Join us for activities ranging from Read It and Eat Book Club to STEM club and an Escape Room. – See all teen events here.
Adults – Summer Reading isn’t just for kids and teens. We also have a reading challenge with prizes for adults! Events include: Painting, Moctails, making leather earrings, an organizing workshop, and a presentation on the Lewis & Clark Corp of Discovery. – See all adult events here.
What’s NEW this year?
- Magician Jonathan May (families)
- Grout Museum (families)
- Read It and Eat Book Club (5th-8th)
- STEM Club (5th-8th)
- Thursday Night Make-N-Takes (adults)
What else should I know?
- Adults: Shelf Discovery-Join us each month to discuss a book. There’s a variety of genres.
- Adults & Teens: Young at Heart-An adult discussion of young adult titles.
- Read It & Eat – 5th-8th graders
- Babygarten-0-18 months
- Wiggles and Words-18 months-3 years
- Story Time-3 years and older
- Bilingual Story Time – families (fun for both English & Spanish speaking families)
Summer Splash-TK-8th graders, sign up for a 6 week session of Summer SPLASH! We’ll have literacy and STEM activities, recommended books, games, literature discussions and more. Cost is $5 for all 6 weeks. Registration is required and begins on May 15. Space is limited so sign up soon.
Lego Clubs–During the summer there will be Lego Clubs for students who just completed 2-6th grade. Registration is required and begins on May 15. Family lego nights do not require registration and are open to people of all ages.
Spanish Camp for 3rd-5th graders – your chance to learn a little Spanish through fun activities!
Leemos en español for 3rd-6th graders – a chance for Spanish speaking kids to learn/improve their Spanish reading skills!
How can I help?
- We are in need of students to sign children up for the reading program, help children get prizes when they turn in their minutes, and more! Students who completed 5th grade or higher are invited to submit an application to be a volunteer. They will need to attend one of the two trainings.
- We are also in need of adult volunteers to help in various ways, including reading with children one-on-one during the summer.
Support the library – We are always in need of donations to help provide fun, educational opportunities for our community.
When does the reading program end?