What is the Owl’s Nest Program?
Anytime a young reader has a one-on-one connection with an adult or older student who is willing to give them their undivided attention, that child develops a sense of trust and self confidence in their reading skills.
- The Owl’s Nest Program is a mentoring program designed to encourage children to read, offering a supportive environment to develop strong literacy skills, and most importantly, make reading fun!
- The Owl’s Nest Program pairs a volunteer with a student who needs extra help with reading.
- The volunteer meets with their Little Owl at least once a week at Sioux Center Public library.
- The Owl’s Nest Program helps to increase awareness and use of library resources, services and programs.
A mom writes, “My son has been reading with the Owl’s Nest program for a little over a month. Last week I received an email from his teacher telling me that he had just taken his reading assessment test and he had improved 125 points. This is a very big achievement for him and it is wonderful to see his confidence grow so much in only 4 weeks.”
How can I get a volunteer to read with my child?
Do I need any special skills or training to be a Wise Owl volunteer?
- No special skills required! All you need to be a volunteer in the Owl’s Nest Program is a desire to make a difference in a child’s life and commit one hour of your time per week.
- The Wise Owl’s job is to be a coach and role model who shows a love of books that is contagious and even life-changing for the Little Owl.
How do I become a volunteer for the Reading Buddy Program?
- It’s easy! Simply stop at the circulation desk and pick up a Volunteer Form or click on the form linked below. Drop the completed form off at the library. The Owl’s Nest coordinator will contact you to schedule an orientation and to set a time to meet with the child and parent.
- Volunteer Application for the Owl’s Nest
If you have more questions, call the Sioux Center Public Library: 712-722-2138 or email us.